TN classification for non-immigrant workers

TN classification for non-immigrant workers

Are you planning to come to the United States for the purpose of employment? Although you may wish to work in Connecticut, you may not be planning to immigrate. If this is the case, you will need to obtain a special TN non-immigrant classification. Doing so will help get you the visa you need to work here.

Who is eligible for this classification?

Immigration to the U.S., whether on a temporary or permanent basis, can be a tricky matter. The TN non-immigrant classification program aims to make the awarding of a visa a much simpler process.

To qualify for the TN visa, you need to be a citizen of Canada or Mexico. Most people who apply will be employed as doctors, scientists, teachers, lawyers, pharmacists, accountants, engineers or other highly skilled professionals. You will need to show proof that you are fully qualified to work in one of these areas.

There needs to be documentation filed for a prearranged full-time or part-time job that you will be employed at. This job must be with an employer who is based in the United States. This type of visa is not open to people who intend to be self-employed.

How can you apply for an extension?

If you wish to apply for an extension on your TN non-immigrant visa, you will need to file an official application. This is a matter that can be handled by a legal representative acting on your behalf in this capacity.

The ability to file for an official extension is open to both Canadian and Mexican citizens. You do not need to travel abroad before you apply. If a Mexican dependent wishes to travel abroad after their approval, they will need to apply for a new visa. They can do so at any U.S. embassy or consulate.